What does paranormal mean? According to Wikipedia: The term "paranormal" has existed in the English language since at least 1920. The word consists of two parts: para and normal. The definition implies that the scientific explanation of the world around us is 'normal' and anything that is above, beyond, or contrary to that is 'para'.
Paranormal, therefore, means anything out of the norm that can't be explained by known phenomena. Ghosts, hauntings, UFOs, Extra sensory perception, extraterrestrials, unknown beings, shadow people, time anomalies, cryptids and other subjects fit into the category of paranormal.
Whether you decide to have a party, or just meet some friends for drinks or dinner, do SOMETHING!
1. Best Paranormal Tale: Create a game where everyone has to tell their absolute best - and real - paranormal experience, then have all of your guests vote on the best one. Give a prize to the winner.
2. True or False: Collect paranormal encounter tales and have guests guess whether each are true or false. The person with the most right answers wins. This game could be printed out so guests have plenty of time to read the stories and vote on them.
3. Paranormal Bingo: Create bingo cards ahead of time with pictures of different creatures placed in different locations. Just use regular paper for the "cards." Make a set of printed creatures to match so you can shuffle these cards before reading each one aloud as in a regular bingo game. The first person to shout Bingo wins a prize. I would suggest playing this several times before moving on to the next game or event. Some ideas for the creatures are: ghost, witch, black cat, ET, UFO, Sasquatch, shadow person, mummy, zombie, ball of light, a screaming person, a person in shock, the moon, a creepy tree, a gravestone, a knife, and a flashlight.
4. Have guests come in costume and give a prize to the best outfit. Pick a theme like "Day of the Dead," "Ghostly Encounters," "Grave Diggers Fiesta, "ET Came Home," Mummies Return," Etc. It doesn't have to be Halloween to have a great paranormal party!
5. Serve a few drinks with special names just for your party. Some suggestions besides the obvious "Bloody Mary" are "High Spirits," "The Grave Digger, "Death by Chocolate" (with chocolate liqueur), "Zombie Apocolypse," and "Mummy Awakes."
Some prize suggestions to give winners of games are a voodoo doll, a mummy doll, a book on the paranormal, a model UFO, a blow up plastic ET, a sky lantern, a UV flashlight (for investigations) or a regular flashlight, Bigfoot bandages (look on the internet), a paranormal magazine, or a creepy looking haunted doll or clothing item from EBAY.
Whatever you decide to do, I hope you have a great time!
Margie Kay is the author of Gateway to the Dead: A Ghost Hunter's Field Guide, Haunted Independence, and other books. Her articles have appeared in online blogs, The MUFON UFO Journal, and Un-X News Magazine. Margie is the editor of Un-X News Magazine and director of Quest Paranormal Investigation Group.